I have to admit I’m not much of a porridge person (not into all the milk!) but Elliott is and I made him porridge for breakfast because I think he’s on the verge of manflu…. n’aw. Because it’s now apple season and there’s plenty to buy on the roadside (more on this soon!) I made a hot apple and raisin topper for it too.
I have this awesome little pan from my ‘gram-in-law’ which is to fry a single egg in, but it’s great to fry little bits and bobs in like a bit of apple, or for toasting spices or seeds. Very useful kitchen item!
Porridge with an Apple and Sultana Topper
pinch of sea salt (Jamie Oliver told me to)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp dark soft sugar (be warned I have an awful sweet tooth- this may not be necessary!)
– Over a medium heat bring the oats and milk (with the salt added) to a simmer stirring as much as possible.
– Simmer until creamy (5 mins or so).
– Stir in the sugar and cinnamon and cook for a further 2 mins.
1 apple, chopped into small pieces
knob of butter
small handful of sultanas
1 tbsp soft dark sugar (to taste)
– Whilst the porridge is cooking, in a small frying pan heat the butter until melted and then add the apple.
– When the apple has softened add the sugar and the sultanas and cook until syrupy and glazed.
– Serve on top of the porridge and you will be set up for the day!