It’s getting to that cold time of year when all you want to do is eat heavy warm stodge, I have been craving pasta, risotto and rice, huge bowls of it! So today I went out my way to make dinner that was a bit lighter on the carbs but still comforting and warming! Other conditions were use up the rest of the feta and be something cheap and quick to make –long week!
The outcome: Balsamic and honey glazed beetroot on rocket with feta. It was super simple, I used the ready cooked beetroot (comes in that shrink wrap stuff and you get 4 balls for 70p) and quick roasted it in a glaze before throwing it on top of dressed rocket and topping with feta. Easy! However I do feel like a cheater for just buying cooked longlife beetroot, but we all have those days, however I think roasting raw beetroot would probably taste even better and have a better texture so maybe next time! I have to say I miss my vegboxes so much, not so inspired without them 😦
4 cooked and peeled beetroot, cubed
1.5 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1tbsp honey ground black pepper
1 garlic clove crushed
4 sprigs of thyme a few good handfuls of rocket feta, crumbled (around 40g)
– Preheat the oven to a high heat (200 deg c)
– Mix the vinegar, oil, honey, pepper and garlic to make the sauce/glaze
– Toss the thyme leaves with the beetroot on a baking tray and coat with the glaze
– Roast until the beetroot is becoming sticky and is browning.
– Top with the feta and allow to melt.
– Spoon the beetroot and feta onto prepared rocket (I put a simple 50:50 olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing on it)
– Went nicely served with rye bread!